Wednesday, January 13, 2010

A Short Treatise on Lady Gaga

   Thank the gods for KKCK FM in Marshall, MN.  If it were not for this radio station no child in southwest Minnesota would ever have heard music.  Pardon just a little hyperbole but gol dern it's prit near totally true.

   And if KKCK were not on the air it never would have had the power to enlighten an old mother like me.  (And I mean mothers as in moms and not mother you-know-whaters.)

   So recently during my morning ablutions I was listening to the aforementioned KKCK and Lady Gaga's  "Bad Romance" caught my attention and, with toothbrush in mouth, I had a proverbially light bulb moment.  I said, you know, I'll bet many mothers think this is garbage and that Lady Gaga is nothing more than Lady Gagag. ( People in these parts have an affinity to the gag reflex when they are disgusted by something.  The finger stuck in mouth gag gig.  You can picture it, yes?)  But I think she is ever so talented.  
   Why, I mused, do I think this? I promptly came up with eight reasons.  And here they are:
1.  Gaga is different. When was the last time you heard such sounds from a human voice?

2.  Gaga is exotic.  You hear the song and are transported to a bar in Istanbul or a cafe in Cairo (minus the incessant car horn blowing.)
3.  Gaga is talented. Maybe even super-talented. Read a short bio (Wikipedia will do) and be very impressed with this Italian New Yorker. 
4.  Gaga has a great voice. (Part of the talent, obviously.) Especially the almost a growl range.
5.  Gaga is deliciously decadent. (But this is pretty much an illusion.)
6.  Gaga makes you want to dance: the darn song is energizing.

7.  Unplugged people as well as metal boys and girls can appreciate some techno now and then.
8.  For old people, it brings back good memories of bad disco.

   And some sound (yes, a pun) advice for all the faint of heart  moms out there.  No need to read the lyrics to "Bad Romance." OK? Just listen to the music. 
   P.S. Oh yes, and Moms, don't watch the music video either. 

1 comment:

  1. She creeps the hell out of me. I'm not a huge fan and I'm not exactly sure why that is. Is she really into all that weird costume stuff or is it manufactured?

    ReplyDelete