Friday, April 23, 2010

Big Bunny Blues

   He was about seven feet tall from the tip of his ears to the bottom of his fur clad silly feet.  You knew, of course,  that the someone inside the suit was looking at you from somewhere on the thing's chest but you just naturally looked into his glassy pink eyes and felt a little ridiculous doing so.
   We met the big rabbit in the lobby of the Radisson Hotel restaurant.  It was Easter Sunday and we naively thought our party of six could march in and have brunch without a reservation. We had spent the day before blissfully perched on a hillside in great weather watching a college baseball game.  So the rest of the weekend should be perfect, too. This was an incorrect assumption, to say the least. The hostess at the hotel told us we could not have brunch and I was very upset.  Couldn't she just squeeze us in for half an hour?  We would hurry. Pleeze! While we dealt with another negative answer to our pleadings,  the Easter Bunny started jumping up and down around us.  I guess his job was to smooth the waters, make funny, so we would laugh and leave, politely taking our disappointment over the failed brunch in stride.
   But I was inordinately annoyed by the cavorting beast.  The big darn bunny was in my face, so to speak, and I did not like it one bit.  My polite children said "but Mommy, the Easter Bunny is just trying to be nice to you."  Really?  And then it happened.  I looked up into the big darn bunny's eyes and said the fatal and memorable words: "I don't care what the damn Easter Bunny is doing.  I just want brunch."
   I stormed out of the hotel.  Everyone was mortified.  But the kids left with a memory they'll never forget. Isn't that what's important? Making special memories? Don't worry. They have not forgotten. . They remind me of this special occasion every chance they get.

No comments:

Post a Comment