Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Possible Reasons Why I Am A Mess

   My mother told my sister and me, "Do not blame me for any of your problems."  OK. But I do believe parental influences such as (poor) advice do affect us!  For instance, here are some (believe it or not) bon mots my mother said over and over again..  I think you'll get the picture.

Clothes make the man (or woman) - definitely. 
Everyone looks better with blond hair. (I said but Mom Spanish women might not look better with
blond hair.  She said of course they do.)
More makeup is always better than less makeup. ("A little more eye shadow will do the trick.")
You'll get the job if you go to the interview in a really nice suit.
Your baby is going to be gorgeous.  I nervously said what if it's not?  She said why wouldn't it be?
Nobody will ever care what grades you got in college.
It's better to look good than to feel good.
One Christmas she said: "You are going to be so excited.  I got you two things everyone MUST have." Those two necessities turned out to be a string of pearls and a Gucci bag.


So.  Is it any wonder I'm a mess??  I was, though, pretty careful not to pass on this advice to my children.  Well, except for the makeup rule!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment